Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Laughable Da Vinci Code Film

So the verdict on The Da Vinci Code film is out.

It sucks. Big Time.

This point was driven all the way home when a really deep slumber was harshly interrupted by the sound of my cell phone ringing. A friend has called me up in the middle of the night--literally since it was 12 am--and begged me to listen to him. I did, and found myself at the receiving end of a 20-minute barrage of invectives and profanities which apparently are appropriate descriptions of the movie itself.

Honestly, I was kinda looking forward to the movie, because I wanted to see how director Ron Howard would treat the material, which wasn't really much to begin with.

Then I saw news articles about audience reactions to the film on the net. Not film reviews, which could be extremely snobbish, but news stories about audience reactions.

And they were just as nasty nevertheless.

The tone of the news items were similar: at its first screening at the Cannes Film Festival, the film was met, not with the usual walkouts, catcalls or hisses customary for really bad movies, but with laughter.

The last time I checked, The Da Vinci Code is not a comedy. As a matter of fact, there is hardly any humor in both the book and the movie at all. So why the laughter? Because it was not funny; It was laughable.

That was it for me. I didn't watch the movie. Not that they need my sixty pesos anyway. As of this writing, the movie has already grossed over $200 million worldwide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home