Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Greatest Singer The World Has Never Known

When Simon Cowell picked “Over The Rainbow” for Katharine McPhee to sing last week on American Idol, I thought, “If she sings Eva Cassidy’s version, that’ll be great.” She didn’t, but she drew praise nevertheless.

Back up a bit, you might say. Eva who?

Eva Cassidy, in my own opinion, is the greatest singer the world has never known.


If not for my friend Django, who brought Eva’s CD “Songbird” back home from the U.S. in 2001, I wouldn’t have heard about this diminutive singer from the D.C. area.

I could sing all her praises here, but I’d probably take up all the space I’ve got in this blog. Besides, there’s no way I could write about Eva’s life and music as beautifully as Richard Harrington of The Washington Post has. The title of this article alone, which was published shortly after her death, gave me goose bumps.

Oh, did I mention she died of cancer in 1996, at the age of 33?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

We play her CD all the time, and couldn't agree with you more. Every song is an absolute jewel. It's a real tragedy that she was discovered after her death.

And you're right, McPhee should have used Eva's version.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home