Saturday, May 06, 2006

Superman’s Back!!!


While writing this post, I’m still trying to shake off the goose bumps watching the Superman Returns trailer just gave me.

I’ve always said the choice of Bryan Singer as director was perfect, and that trailer just nailed it.

I don’t care much about Brandon Routh, who’s got really big tights, boots, cape and external underwear (now there’s an oxymoron) to fill. He’s a newbie, and whether or not he does a halfway decent job as heir to the late Christopher Reeve doesn’t really matter. They can always replace him if he stinks.

Nor do I give a hoot about Kate Bosworth’s Lois Lane; Teri Hatcher will always be the one for me. All I care about is how well Singer treats the material. And judging from the trailer, I think he’s done a pretty good job at it, just like he did with the X-Men.

There’s no doubt this latest movie about the Last Son of Krypton is going to be a monster hit. After all, it’s been almost two decades since the last one.

Speaking of the last Superman movie, I watched it on DVD a few months ago and saw how much it sucked, from the rather corny plot to the choice of villain (honestly, who’d take a villain who’s got Willie Aames’ hair seriously?). At least they got someone with Kevin Spacey’s stature to play Mr. Clean aka Lex Luthor. Oh, I’m also looking forward to his performance too.

Come to think of it, after watching all four movies again on DVD, I realized the Christopher Reeve series was just plain silly. There’s no question, however, about its impact on our lives, as many of us were still kids when we first saw Superman in all his red, blue and yellow (gold?) glory. I remember bugging my mom for a Superman costume, and instead getting one with an inverted “S”. I loved it anyway, not realizing I looked more like Bizarro than the Man of Steel.

Hopefully, Singer does for the Superman franchise what Christopher Nolan, another young directing turk of the dark and brooding persuasion, did for The Dark Knight in Batman Begins.

We still have to wait more than a month though…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home